The Electronic Reporting and Monitoring (ERM) programme is a new programme that consists of two activities;
1. Electronic Reporting (ER)
Electronic Reporting (ER) is the daily recording of fishing activities including catch by fishing vessels captains and fishing masters on Industry ifims Android apps while at sea, and send to MFMR PNA Fisheries Integrated Management System (FIMS) Online Database system via Satellite and Internet Broadband connections.
MFMR Electronic Reporting programme also covers observers e-reporting, where Solomon Islands observers are trained on an ifims electronic Observer app to record vessels daily catch and fishing activities while at sea and send to MFMR PNA FIMS Online database.
Summary poster of ER
ER documents and reports
2. Electronic Monitoring (EM)
Electronic Monitoring (EM) is the use of electronic means to independently collect fisheries data and support verification of reporting and compliance.
An EM system usually consists of wide-angle digital cameras, a GPS receiver, gear usage sensors, storage and processing devices, and a display screen. The sensors can collect data about locations and when fishing gear is being used. The cameras record imagery that can be analysed to determine the effort (number of sets, hooks or baskets), the total catch and other noticeable events (e.g. transhipments and crew behaviours).
The Data from sensors can be sent in near real time, speeding up fisheries management decisions.
E-Monitoring is being used to increase monitoring in the longline fishery and to support observer functions and safety on purse seine boats. The EM data can be collected for both science and compliance purposes on the target species being fished, the bycatch and discarding events of non-target species or endangered, threatened and protected species as well as the gear being used.
Summary poster of EM:
EM documents and reports
Benefits of E-Monitoring;
- 24/7 monitoring of a vessels fishing activity
- Fast, with near real-time verification of fishing activity
- Cost effective tool to enhance monitoring and verify what is caught and reported by fishers
- Compliments existing Observer programme with increased coverage in longline fisheries
- More reliable data supports improved assessment of stock status and better catch data
- Promotes responsible fishing and accurate reporting by crews
- Improved safety of operations on vessel.
ERM summary poster: erm summary poster