Applications are invited for a suitably qualified person to fill the position of Community Liaison Officer – (Harbour), an MFMR initiative to support the Bina Harbour Tuna Processing Plant Project.
The MFMR receives budget support from MFAT through the Mekem Strong Solomon Islands Fisheries (MSSIF) Programme to support implementation of the SIG National Project, the Bina Harbour Tuna Processing Plant (BHTPP). This position is based in Honiara as a MSSIF funded officer in the MFMR, but will require frequent travel to Malaita Province.
The CLO (Harbour) is responsible to implement activities at the community level in the Bina Harbour area to ensure harbour access and agreements are assured for the development project in accordance with agreed approaches adopted by the BHTPP project. The CLO will support teams working on related landowner and beneficiary arrangements and support the co-ordination of donor and consultant visits to the site. The officer will work as part of a team within the Project Management Division in the MFMR and report to formal project committees.
This position will contribute to the corporate functions and objectives of this Ministry by supporting the Malaita Provincial Government to create jobs and business opportunities for rural people by developing onshore processing facilities to create greater economic and social benefits, and creating new investment opportunities to add value to offshore fisheries resources
This position is required to undertake the following duties:
- Take a lead on assigned aspects of on the ground activities for the development of arrangements for harbour access for BHTPP activities including awareness, consultations and beneficiary mapping.
- Responsible for assigned aspects of documentation of onsite activities related to harbour access.
- Responsible to lodge all lists, reports, memos, photos with the Project Management Divisions database for Bina.
- Be a contact person for community members with MFMR as determined by Project Office delegations of roles.
- Support the activities of other BHTPP teams to complete all access agreements for land, water and harbour in accordance with the participatory and empowerment approach to this development project on customary land.
- Support community awareness for project activities to the beneficiaries and communities surrounding the Bina Harbour Tuna Processing Plant.
- Work with ASPM and PS to resolve any issues arising at the community level.
- Liaise with community/ trustees when donors, consultants are visiting the community under the auspices of the MFMR.
- Provide briefings and updates to MFMR management when required.
- Facilitate site visits by consultants that have been procured under the auspices of the MFMR.
- Undertake any other duties as reasonably required or directed by the Responsible Officer or Supervisor from time to time.
This position will initially be for a contracted period of one year. Extension is anticipated depending upon staff performance and availability of funding.
- Degree in project Management, community development, social science, geography or related topic
- Minimum of 3 years relevant work experience
- Extensive knowledge, and skills and experience in dealing with communities and community development
- Deep understanding of Solomon Islands’ cultural norms and values
- Evidence of delivering high quality written documentation in a timely manner
- Experienced with dealing with national and international stakeholders, including Solomon Islands Government Ministries
- Proven ability to deliver timely outcomes in complex environments
- Proven ability to navigate complex situations where differences of opinion arise.
- Computer literate in basic Microsoft and Excel.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
Suitability for this position will be assessed against the following key selection criteria:
- Demonstrated understanding of the projects approach to development on customary land
- Knowledge of the Bina project history and status
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently but as part of a team
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Able to work under pressure and prioritise multiple demands.
- Conflict management skills
MFMR / MSSIF 01/21
Community Liaison Officer – (Harbor)
Approx. SBD $67,578.21 annual salary plus housing and NPF
MFMR Project Division, Bina Harbor Project.
Important information for all potential candidates;
- All interested applicants must provide RS. FORM 6, an application or cover letter (addressing the selection criteria in JD), an up to date Curriculum Vitae with certified copies of academic transcripts; contact details of at least two referees. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Only applications accepted for short listing will be notified.
- You do not need to provide copies of your medical report and police clearance when you apply. However, such clearance will be required prior to appointment.
Closing Date for all the applications is on Friday 30th of April 2021, 4:30pm.
Address applications to:
Vacancy notice MFMR/MSSIF 01/21
Ministry of Fisheries & Marine Resources
P.O Box G2
Click link to view or download Vacancy Notice: https://fisheries.gov.sb/mfmr-docs/employment/community_liaison_officer_MFMR-MSSIF-01-2021.pdf